Re: CREATE USER

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE USER
Date: 2011-12-14 00:12:07
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> > I just notice that when you create a user using CREATE USER and give
>> > the user the ability to create other users it gets created as
>> > SUPERUSER.
>>
>> Are you talking about the CREATEUSER option?  That is documented, quite
>> clearly I think:
>>
>>       CREATEUSER
>>       NOCREATEUSER
>>
>>       These clauses are an obsolete, but still accepted, spelling of
>>       SUPERUSER and NOSUPERUSER. Note that they are not equivalent to
>>       CREATEROLE as one might naively expect!
>>
>> The only way we could really make this any better is to remove these
>> keywords, which might be something to consider.  The preferred SUPERUSER
>> spelling has been accepted since 8.1 ... is that long enough to ensure
>> everyone's converted their client-side tools?  Probably not :-(
>
> How does this relate to people restoring pre-8.1 pg_dumpall dumps?
> Seems removing this option would cause the restore to fail.

True, but 1: that's a really old release, and you should always dump
from the version you're going to not, going from, and 2: If you dumped
with 8.1 from 8.1 you're likely to have plenty of other issues loading
into later versions as well. How about it's marked as deprecated to
be removed in the next major release (9.1) and removed the one after
that (9.2)?