Re: Re: How to track number of connections and hosts to Postgres cluster

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Venkat Balaji <venkat(dot)balaji(at)verse(dot)in>
Cc: MirrorX <mirrorx(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: How to track number of connections and hosts to Postgres cluster
Date: 2011-08-30 06:39:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Venkat Balaji <venkat(dot)balaji(at)verse(dot)in> wrote:
> If i notice high IO's and huge log generation, then i think Greg Spileburg
> has suggested a good idea of using tcpdump on a different server. I would
> use this utility and see how it works (never used it before). Greg
> Spileburg, please  help me with any sources of documents you have to use
> "tcpdump".

There's also a lot to be said for dumping to a dedicated local drive
with fsync turned off. They're logs so you can chance losing them by
putting them on a cheap fast 7200 rpm SATA drive. If your logs take
up more than a few megs a second then they are coming out really fast.
Do you know what your log generation rate in bytes/second is?