Re: SSH Tunneling implementation

From: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSH Tunneling implementation
Date: 2012-07-10 12:19:30
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Ashesh Vashi <
> ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>

>>> Why are we talking about using the external application here?
>>

> Because I suggested giving it some thought in case it turns out we have no
> other option.
>

>> The only problem with the current implementation - is that it does use
>> new APIs for tunneling.
>> We can change the implementation based on the current supplied libssh2 on
>> most linux flavours.
>> i.e. libssh2 - 1.2.7 or later
>>
>> I have asked Akshay to check - if we can modify the current
>> implementation to use the older version of libssh2. (feasibility)
>>

> I've already asked him to investigate whether there is another API that
> may be used that he may have missed. Only supporting old versions of
> libssh2 is unacceptable though - we need to support current versions, and
> ideally older ones as well for compatibility with Ubuntu/Debian/RHEL etc.

   I have investigated, there are two functions libssh2_session_handshake
and libssh2_exit() which is not available in the older versions.
   libssh2_session_handshake() is replacement function to
libssh2_session_startup()(deprecated) which was added in the version 1.2.8
and
   libssh2_exist() was added in the version 1.2.5. So to provide
backward compatibility
we can perform the function check instead of configure
   check and will add appropriate macros to build it properly.

   Thought??Comments?

--
*Akshay Joshi
Senior Software Engineer