Re: SSH Tunneling implementation

From: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSH Tunneling implementation
Date: 2012-07-10 12:19:30
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Ashesh Vashi <
> ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Why are we talking about using the external application here?
> Because I suggested giving it some thought in case it turns out we have no
> other option.
>> The only problem with the current implementation - is that it does use
>> new APIs for tunneling.
>> We can change the implementation based on the current supplied libssh2 on
>> most linux flavours.
>> i.e. libssh2 - 1.2.7 or later
>> I have asked Akshay to check - if we can modify the current
>> implementation to use the older version of libssh2. (feasibility)
> I've already asked him to investigate whether there is another API that
> may be used that he may have missed. Only supporting old versions of
> libssh2 is unacceptable though - we need to support current versions, and
> ideally older ones as well for compatibility with Ubuntu/Debian/RHEL etc.

   I have investigated, there are two functions libssh2_session_handshake
and libssh2_exit() which is not available in the older versions.
   libssh2_session_handshake() is replacement function to
libssh2_session_startup()(deprecated) which was added in the version 1.2.8
   libssh2_exist() was added in the version 1.2.5. So to provide
backward compatibility
we can perform the function check instead of configure
   check and will add appropriate macros to build it properly.

> --
> Dave Page
> Blog:
> Twitter: @pgsnake