Re: [PERFORM] Slow query: bitmap scan troubles

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Slow query: bitmap scan troubles
Date: 2012-12-18 06:00:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

[moved to hackers]

On Wednesday, December 5, 2012, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > I now see where the cost is coming from. In commit 21a39de5809 (first
> > appearing in 9.2) the "fudge factor" cost estimate for large indexes
> > was increased by about 10 fold, which really hits this index hard.
>
> > This was fixed in commit bf01e34b556 "Tweak genericcostestimate's
> > fudge factor for index size", by changing it to use the log of the
> > index size. But that commit probably won't be shipped until 9.3.
>
> Hm. To tell you the truth, in October I'd completely forgotten about
> the January patch, and was thinking that the 1/10000 cost had a lot
> of history behind it. But if we never shipped it before 9.2 then of
> course that idea is false. Perhaps we should backpatch the log curve
> into 9.2 --- that would reduce the amount of differential between what
> 9.2 does and what previous branches do for large indexes.

I think we should backpatch it for 9.2.3. I've seen another email which is
probably due to the same issue (nested loop vs hash join). And some
monitoring of a database I am responsible for suggests it might be heading
in that direction as well as the size grows.

But I am wondering if it should be present at all in 9.3. When it was
introduced, the argument seemed to be that smaller indexes might be easier
to keep in cache. And surely that is so. But if a larger index that
covers the same type of queries exists when a smaller one also exists, we
can assume the larger one also exists for a reason. While it may be easier
to keep a smaller index in cache, it is not easier to keep both a larger
and a smaller one in cache as the same time. So it seems to me that this
reasoning is a wash. (Countering this argument is that a partial index is
more esoteric, and so if one exists it is more likely to have been
well-thought out)

The argument for increasing the penalty by a factor of 10 was that the
smaller one could be "swamped by noise such as page-boundary-roundoff
behavior". I don't really know what that means, but it seems to me that if
it is so easily swamped by noise, then it probably isn't so important in
the first place which one it chooses. Whereas, I think that even the log
based penalty has the risk of being too much on large indexes. (For one
thing, it implicitly assumes the fan-out ratio at each level of btree is e,
when it will usually be much larger than e.)

One thing which depends on the index size which, as far as I can tell, is
not currently being counted is the cost of comparing the tuples all the way
down the index. This would be proportional to log2(indextuples) *
cpu_index_tuple_cost, or maybe log2(indextuples) *
(cpu_index_tuple_cost+cpu_operator_cost), or something like that. This
cost would depend on the number index tuples, not baserel tuples, and so
would penalize large indexes. It would be much smaller than the current
log(pages/10000) penalty, but it would be more principle-based rather than
heuristic-based.

The log(pages/10000) change is more suitable for back-patching because it
is more conservative, being asymptotic with the previous behavior at the
low end. But I don't think that the case for that previous behavior was
ever all that strong.

If we really want a heuristic to give a bonus to partial indexes, maybe we
should explicitly give them a bonus, rather than penalizing ordinary

maybe something like bonus = 0.05 * (reltuples-indextuples)/reltuples

Cheers,

Jeff