Re: Standalone synchronous master

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Björnhagen <alex(dot)bjornhagen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Standalone synchronous master
Date: 2012-01-13 17:33:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Alexander Björnhagen
<alex(dot)bjornhagen(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> At this point I feel that this new functionality might be a bit
> overkill for postgres, maybe it's better to stay lean and mean rather
> than add a controversial feature like this.

I don't understand why this is controversial. In the current code, if
you have a master and a single sync standby, and the master disappears
and you promote the standby, now the new master is running *without a
standby*. If you are willing to let the new master run without a
standby, why are you not willing to let the
the old one do so if it were the standby which failed in the first place?

Cheers,

Jeff