Re: automating CF submissions (was xlog location arithmetic)

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: automating CF submissions (was xlog location arithmetic)
Date: 2012-01-16 21:37:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Alvaro Herrera

> Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of lun ene 16 17:48:41 -0300 2012:
>
>> Putting submitters aside, I have to say based on teaching people how to
>> use the CF stuff on Thursday night that the process of submitting a
>> review of a patch is VERY unintuitive, or in the words of one reviewer
>> "astonishingly arcane".  Summing up:
>>
>> 1. Log into CF.  Claim the patch by editing it.
>>
>> 2. Write a review and email it to pgsql-hackers.
>>
>> 3. Dig the messageID out of your sent mail.
>>
>> 4. Add a comment to the patch, type "Review" with the messageID, and
>> ideally a short summary comment of the review.
>>
>> 5. Edit the patch to change its status as well as to remove yourself as
>> reviewer if you plan to do no further review.
>>
>> There are so many things wrong with this workflow I wouldn't know where
>> to start.
>
> Other than having to figure out Message-Ids, which most MUAs seem to
> hide as much as possible, is there anything here of substance?

I find it an annoyance, but can't get too worked up over it.

> I mean,
> if getting a message-id from Gmail is all that complicated, please
> complain to Google.

But after digging the message-id out of gmail and entering it into the
commitfest app, the resulting link is broken because the email has not
yet shown up in the archives. So now I have to wonder if I did
something wrong, and keep coming back every few hours to see if will
start working.

> I mean, is email arcane?  Surely not.  Are summary lines arcane?

The way you have to set them is pretty arcane. Again, I can't get too
worked over it, but if it were made simpler I'd be happier.

Cheers,

Jeff