Re: autovacuum stress-testing our system

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovacuum stress-testing our system
Date: 2012-09-26 17:18:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> Excerpts from Euler Taveira's message of mié sep 26 11:53:27 -0300 2012:
>
>>> IMHO that's the definitive solution. It would be one file per database plus a
>>> global one. That way, the check would only read the global.stat and process
>>> those database that were modified. Also, an in-memory map could store that
>>> information to speed up the checks.
>
>> +1
>
> That would help for the case of hundreds of databases, but how much
> does it help for lots of tables in a single database?

It doesn't help that case, but that case doesn't need much help. If
you have N statistics-kept objects in total spread over M databases,
of which T objects need vacuuming per naptime, the stats file traffic
is proportional to N*(M+T). If T is low, then there is generally is
no problem if M is also low. Or at least, the problem is much smaller
than when M is high for a fixed value of N.

> I'm a bit suspicious of the idea that we should encourage people to use
> hundreds of databases per installation anyway:

I agree with that, but we could still do a better job of tolerating
it; without encouraging it. If someone volunteers to write the code
to do this, what trade-offs would there be?

Cheers,

Jeff