Re: PITR potentially broken in 9.2

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PITR potentially broken in 9.2
Date: 2012-11-28 21:00:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:51 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> writes:
>> On 28.11.2012 06:27, Noah Misch wrote:
>>> I observed a similar problem with 9.2. Despite a restore_command that failed
>>> every time, startup from a hot backup completed. At the time, I suspected a
>>> mistake on my part.
>
>> I believe this was caused by this little typo/thinko:
>
> Is this related at all to the problem discussed over at
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2012-11/msg00709.php
> ? The conclusion-so-far in that thread seems to be that an error
> ought to be thrown for recovery_target_time earlier than the
> backup stop time, but one is not getting thrown.

It is not directly related. That thread was about 9.1.6.

In the newly fixed 9_2_STABLE, that problem still shows up the same as
it does in 9.1.6.

(In 9.2.1, recovery sometimes blows up before that particular problem
could be detected, which is what lead me here in the first place--that
is the extent of the relationship AFAIK)

To see this one, follow the instructions in my previous email, but set
recovery_target_time to a time just after the end of the
pg_start_backup checkpoint, rather than just before it, and turn on
hot_standby

Cheers,

Jeff