Re: scale up (postgresql vs mssql)

From: Eyal Wilde <eyal(at)impactsoft(dot)co(dot)il>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: scale up (postgresql vs mssql)
Date: 2012-06-20 06:01:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi, all.

this is an obligation from the past:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2012-05/msg00017.php

the same test, that did ~230 results, is now doing ~700 results. that is,
BTW even better than mssql.

the ultimate solution for that problem was to NOT to do "ON COMMIT DELETE
ROWS" for the temporary tables. instead, we just do "DELETE FROM
temp_table1".

doing "TRUNCATE temp_table1" is defiantly the worst case (~100 results in
the same test). this is something we knew for a long time, which is why we
did "ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS", but eventually it turned out as far from being
the best.

another minor issue is that when configuring
temp_tablespace='other_tablespace', the sequences of the temporary tables
remain on the 'main_tablespace'.

i hope that will help making postgres even better :)