repetitive string patterns in pgadmin

From: Harald Armin Massa <harald(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: repetitive string patterns in pgadmin
Date: 2011-08-21 11:48:08
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

last night I did a big chunk of the german translation of the pgAdmin 3 strings.

There was a repetitive pattern of:

<x> dependencies
<x> dependencies report
<x> dependents
<x> dependents report
<x> properties
<x> properties report

and for some of those additionally sth. called "listen report"

as <x> was taken from a big set, it gave a lot of strings to
translate, in a boring way with carpal tunnel risks as of the
interface of poedit.

I would love if we could find a way to have those usages separated, as in

string constant 1 = <x>
string constant 2 = "dependencies"
string constant 3 = "dependencies report"
which would reduce the number of strings to translate dramatically.
And, even if one <x> is not translated, as <x> is usually something
within the database, the technical adapt user of pgAdmin should be
able to figure that out. (in constrast of the fuzzy translations
poedit is suggesting)

Harald Armin Massa
PostgreSQL  Training, Services  and Support

2ndQuadrant Deutschland GmbH
GF: Harald Armin Massa
Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 736399

pgadmin-hackers by date