Re: pg_dump --pretty-print-views

From: Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Marko Tiikkaja <pgmail(at)joh(dot)to>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump --pretty-print-views
Date: 2013-01-29 09:18:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Marko,

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Marko Tiikkaja <pgmail(at)joh(dot)to> wrote:

> On 1/28/13 12:14 PM, Jeevan Chalke wrote:
>
>> I could not apply the patch with git apply, but able to apply it by patch
>> -p1 command.
>>

> IME that's normal for patches that went through filterdiff. I do: git
> diff |filterdiff --format=context to re-format the patches to the context
> diff preferred on the mailing list. Maybe if I somehow told git to produce
> context diff it would work..
>

> However, will you please justify the changes done in "xml.out" ? I guess
>> they are not needed.
>> You might need to configure your sources with libxml.
>>

> If you look very carefully, the pretty-printing version adds one space at
> the very beginning of the output. :-)

That's fine. I am not at all pointing that to you. Have a look at this:

*** a/src/test/regress/expected/xml.out
--- b/src/test/regress/expected/xml.out
***************
*** 3,82 **** CREATE TABLE xmltest (
data xml
);
INSERT INTO xmltest VALUES (1, '<value>one</value>');
INSERT INTO xmltest VALUES (2, '<value>two</value>');
INSERT INTO xmltest VALUES (3, '<wrong');
! ERROR: invalid XML content
LINE 1: INSERT INTO xmltest VALUES (3, '<wrong');
^
! DETAIL: line 1: Couldn't find end of Start Tag wrong line 1
! <wrong
! ^

.
.
.
--- 3,84 ----
data xml
);
INSERT INTO xmltest VALUES (1, '<value>one</value>');
+ ERROR: unsupported XML feature
+ LINE 1: INSERT INTO xmltest VALUES (1, '<value>one</value>');
+ ^
+ DETAIL: This functionality requires the server to be built with libxml
support.
+ HINT: You need to rebuild PostgreSQL using --with-libxml.
INSERT INTO xmltest VALUES (2, '<value>two</value>');
+ ERROR: unsupported XML feature
+ LINE 1: INSERT INTO xmltest VALUES (2, '<value>two</value>');
+ ^
+ DETAIL: This functionality requires the server to be built with libxml
support.
+ HINT: You need to rebuild PostgreSQL using --with-libxml.

These changes are not at all required.
Follow the hint.

In other way, if I apply your patch and run make check I get regression
failure for xml.out.

Please check.

Thanks

--
Jeevan B Chalke
Senior Software Engineer, R&D

Phone: +91 20 30589500

Website: www.enterprisedb.com
EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains
information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged,
confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended
recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.