Re: [BUG] Checkpointer on hot standby runs without looking checkpoint_segments

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUG] Checkpointer on hot standby runs without looking checkpoint_segments
Date: 2012-04-17 12:38:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sorry, I've wrote something wrong.

>> The reason we haven't historically obeyed checkpoint_segments
>> during recovery is that it slows down the recovery
>> unnecessarily if you're restoring from a backup and you replay,
>
> The variable StandbyMode is false on archive recovery, so no
> checkpoint triggerred during then.

Nevertheless, checkpoints will be triggered by checkpoint_timeout and
run at the maybe higher speed governed by checkpoint_segments. This is
undesirable behavior from such a point of view.

But I think referring checkpoint_segment on such case should be
inhibited, and I suppose it is possible using StandbyMode in
IsCheckpointOnSchedule(), I suppose.

I will correct the patch later.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

== My e-mail address has been changed since Apr. 1, 2012.