Re: MySQL search query is not executing in Postgres DB

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, premanand <kottiprem(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL search query is not executing in Postgres DB
Date: 2012-08-28 16:47:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> We really ought to put some effort into solving this problem.  I've
> seen a few Oracle-migration talks at conferences, and *every one* of
> them has mentioned the smallint problem.  It hits our customers, too.

I'm kind of puzzled how Oracle-migration talks talk about a smallint
problem given that Oracle only has NUMBER which is a variable-sized
data type. Why would Oracle people end up with an f(smallint) at all?

Perhaps just a warning on CREATE FUNCTION when one of the arguments
doesn't have an implicit cast from the canonical data type of that
hierarchy saying perhaps you should consider using that data type and
let Postgres convert instead of the more specific data type?

--
greg