Re: updated emacs configuration

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: updated emacs configuration
Date: 2013-07-21 01:06:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> AFAIR, no one has ever done a serious comparison to anything except GNU
> indent, and (at least at the time) it seemed to have bugs as bad as
> pgindent's, just different ones. I'm certainly open to another choice
> as long as we don't lose on portability of the tool. But who will do
> the legwork to test something else?

Fwiw I played with clang-format a bit the other day. But I couldn't
get it to resemble our coding style. It was strongly of the opinion
that spacing within lines should be completely consistent and that
meant it eliminated all spaces that lined up initializers and such.

In theory this tool is promising though since it works by looking at
the llvm bytecode to determine what the real syntax is. It should be
able to handle the typedef issues we have with most of the the tools.

--
greg