Re: pgsql: Allow opclasses to provide tri-valued GIN consistent functions.

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Allow opclasses to provide tri-valued GIN consistent functions.
Date: 2014-03-23 16:07:54
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com
> wrote:

> The reason for the typedef is precisely that an enum is not guaranteed to
> be one byte. Tom suggested getting rid of the typedef, but it's needed to
> make sure it's stored as one byte.
>
> I'll go add a comment to it, explaining why it's needed.

If we're not using the enum type perhaps it would be better to make it a
bunch of #defines? The main advantage of enum types is that the debugger
knows what values are legal and can decode them for you.

That said, I guess there's not much reason to go and change things now
either.

--
greg