Re: BUG #6232: hstore operator ? no longer uses indexes

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pierre Ducroquet <p(dot)psql(at)pinaraf(dot)info>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6232: hstore operator ? no longer uses indexes
Date: 2011-09-29 04:00:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 4:22 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> Not sure what to do about this.  Is it okay to suppose that collation
>> can be ignored when matching to a collation-less index?
>
> That sounds correct on first reading.

Doesn't this depend on the semantics of the ? operator?

Hypothetically if there was an operator like ?< which returned a list
of hstore keys that were < the argument then ?< would indeed depend on
the collation used even if hstore didn't do collations. If there was
an index type on hstore which could handle ?< then it would need to
have the right collation to be usable.

Of course we know ? doesn't depend on the collation but where is that
information? I suspect we should actually have an explicit flag for
each operator.

--
greg