Re: SQL Work Needed at the City of Wilsonville

From: daniel stark <dan(dot)j(dot)stark(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgresql PDX_Users <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Lindsey Smith <lindsey(dot)smith(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SQL Work Needed at the City of Wilsonville
Date: 2011-08-02 04:45:00
Lists: pdxpug

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Lindsey Smith <lindsey(dot)smith(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I invited him to join but I will try again so any momentum picked up
> so far isn't lost.
>
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 5:43 PM, gabrielle <gorthx(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Lindsey Smith <lindsey(dot)smith(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I'm more than willing to ride shotgun with Gabrielle to discuss what
>>> needs to be done. Dan at the City of Wilsonville is a personal friend
>>> and I *think* they'd be receptive to any offer of help.
>>
>> I'm still picking up pieces of my shattered post-OSCON brain :)  Did
>> you get Dan on the mailing list?
>>
>> gabrielle

Hello to all-

I've joined the list and would be thrilled to work with the group,
individuals, or all of the above to accomplish the work we need to get
done. This can be a paying gig for someone or a group, and I'd be
more than happy to buy lunch or dinner, host meetings or sponsor a
hackfest. I'm a big open source fan and would be solidly behind any
efforts to further it's application at the City. Feel free to shoot
me ideas as a group or individually.

We are a very small IT group and often need to rely on experts for
specialized tasks. In this case we have tables coming from multiple
sources that need to be manipulated so that they match the tables in
our production SQL databases. There are several different data sets
that we need to manipulate but I'll provide an example of one
(deceptively simple one) that could start the conversation.

I have a table with property owner addresses. The address is one
field that includes street number, name, type, direction, plus
apartment/suite/room/. I need to strip off the apartment/suite/room
portion of the field and dump it into it's own "suite" field. There
are about 12 or so types of "suites" and I have an all inclusive list.
It should be fairly straight forward to look for those 12 keywords
and remove the keyword plus any trailing numbers or characters (ie
Floor 2 Room 12E), then place them into the suite field.

I'll keep it brief tonight and end here as way of an introduction and
hope to hear more. Feel free to contact me on or off the list.

Best,
dan

GIS Manager
City of Wilsonville
voice: 503-570-1533
stark(at)ci(dot)wilsonville(dot)or(dot)us