check_postgresql.pl for zabbix

From: Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto(dot)d(dot)sera(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: check_postgresql.pl for zabbix
Date: 2012-04-04 09:53:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

I'm implementing a PG monitoring system on zabbix, using
http://bucardo.org/wiki/Check_postgres

Everything's fine, however I cannot seem to use action=checkpoint without
some intervention on permissions.
See http://bucardo.org/check_postgres/check_postgres.pl.html#checkpoint

The data directory is
drwx------+ 11 postgres postgres 4096 Apr 2 13:37 /var/lib/pgsql/data

so putting zabbix in the postgres group won't have any effect, and there is
not enough information for us to be sure that we can add read permission to
the group without impact, once the template I'm making is ported to a large
number of boxes, some of which may have local policies we are not aware of.

I'm left with the option of giving the zabbix agent daemon a limited sudo
right, which I quite do not like because it will need to be replicated on
all single boxes... is anyone aware of an alternative solution?

Cheerio
Bèrto

--
If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in a