Re: Re: What do do about Object-Relational label, was Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement!

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: What do do about Object-Relational label, was Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement!
Date: 2012-08-10 00:17:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> Jeff Davis wrote on 09.08.2012 19:22:
>
>> On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 20:15 -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
>>
>>  I wonder if it is time to re-examine the term object-relational and
>>> how we explain it.
>>>

>> My first suggestion to consider removing the word "object" fell flat,
>> but I think improving the documentation around that term would help
>> avoid confusion (including my confusion).
>>

> I think that most useres/developers don't really care whether it's an
> object relational database, a relational database or a relational database
> that has "object oriented" features/extensions.

Some people appear to be confused by it.  I think it is worth clarifying
what we mean.  The Wikipedia article on object-relational databases is not
helpful for understanding PostgreSQL, for example, as the concept of
implicit join conditions doesn't apply to us (and they offer no examples of
table inheritance).

I am willing to write a first draft btw.  Here are a list of
object-relational features I would highlight:

1)  Table inheritance
2)  Highly extensible type/cast/operator system including the ability to
use complex types for type prototyping and casting complex types to other
forms.
3)  Function argument type detection

Are there any others?

Best wishes,