Re: Urgent help required

From: Scott Mead <scottm(at)openscg(dot)com>
To: Nagaraj Shindagi <nagaraj(dot)shindagi(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Urgent help required
Date: 2012-04-19 18:10:37
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Nagaraj Shindagi <
nagaraj(dot)shindagi(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> i am nagaraj, i am newbi in this database world. i required your help.
> 2 dyas back i formatted one of my client system. which is having
> postgresql 8.2 database & that was having data. but i am not taken backup
> of the data.
> 1) how to take the data from the formatted harddisk. ?

If you have formatted your system, then your data is gone.  You may have
luck with some data-recovery service.

> 2) how many folders or files will be their at base folder. When we install
> postgresql 8.2?

You need the PostgreSQL 'data' directory and *all *the files underneath.

> 3) how to identify which folder contain which file. ?

That depends on where you you downloaded postgres from and which platform
you are on.

--Scott