Does PGAdmin support the PGPASSFILE environment variable?

From: Davide Ronchi <idave+pgadmin(at)idave(dot)it>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Does PGAdmin support the PGPASSFILE environment variable?
Date: 2014-12-01 17:19:59
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello.

I am using PGAdmin and the PostgreSQL ODBC driver on Windows.

The PostgreSQL documentation
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/libpq-pgpass.html> says that
"The file .pgpass in a user's home directory *or the file referenced by
PGPASSFILE* can contain passwords to be used if the connection requires a
password"

This works perfectly with the ODBC driver. If I set the PGPASSFILE system
environment variable, the ODBC libraries read it and read the appropriate
password from the file.

However, this doesn't seem to be the case for PGAdmin. I tried PGAdmin
1.16.1, 1.18.1 and the latest beta, and none of them seems to read the
pgpass file specified in the environment variable, instead defaulting to
%AppData%\PostgreSQL\pgpass.conf.

If I look in the source code, it looks like the path to pgpass.conf is
hardcoded to %AppData%\PostgreSQL\pgpass.conf on Windows, and to ~/.pgpass
on Linux.

Is this expected behaviour? Shouldn't PGPass support the PGPASSFILE
environment variable like PostgreSQL does?

Thanks!
Davide Ronchi