Re: somewhat wrong archive_command example

From: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: somewhat wrong archive_command example
Date: 2011-09-22 18:15:30
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Euler Taveira de Oliveira
<euler(at)timbira(dot)com> wrote:
> On 21-09-2011 20:02, Greg Smith wrote:
>>
>> Attached version fixes the late night brain fade errors. I think the right
>> thing to do next is to package this up into a doc update that corrects the
>> errors in that section too; just clean the whole thing up while I'm poking
>> at
>> it. I'll submit that over to the hackers list so that everyone can take a
>> shot
>> at correcting my shell code.

First, a +1 on the impetus for this script.

Few more suggestions/nitpicks:
 1.) IMO it's more logical to put the test for whether the $ARCHIVE
directory exists before the test whether ${ARCHIVE}/${FILE} exists.
 2.) I think the error code reporting here is not sound:

cp ${FULLPATH} ${ARCHIVE}/${FILE}
if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
  echo $0 Archive copy of ${FILE} failed with error $? >&2

at least on my OS X machine, that echo produces a message like
"./local_backup_script.sh Archive copy of failed with error 0", I
guess since $? gets reset to 0 after that if-statement. You can use a
temporary variable like $ERRCODE=$? to get around this.

Josh