Re: LOCK DATABASE

From: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Eliot Gable <egable+pgsql-general(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LOCK DATABASE
Date: 2011-12-17 19:13:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Eliot Gable
> <egable+pgsql-general(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Is this bogus, or is it an upcoming feature?
>>
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Lock_database

LOCK DATABASE was brought up earlier this year:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-05/msg00886.php

which is about when that wiki page was created.

> The page says: "This functionality is not implemented in PostgreSQL,
> and is not planned to be yet"  So I'd gues it's an ansi SQL Spec
> command that is not implemented and just included for completeness.

I don't think anything like that is in the SQL standard; there is
almost nothing, at least in a SQL:2008 draft I looked through, about
explicit locking.

Josh