Re: pgtesttiming.sgml, FreeBSD command output

From: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgtesttiming.sgml, FreeBSD command output
Date: 2012-07-06 21:09:00
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On fre, 2012-07-06 at 13:21 -0700, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:

>> <screen>
>> dmesg | grep "Timecounter"
>> sysctl kern.timecounter.hardware=TSC
>> </screen>
>>
>> First, grep is case-sensitive by default, so that line of output
>> shouldn't have matched at all, right?
>
> I don't think this was meant to say that the second line is the output
> of the first.  I read this as two separate commands.  But I agree this
> part is a bit unclear.

Oh, I see now. The <screen> sections above and below that one were
including output, and I was just expecting the same here.

One way to fix would be to include shell prompts and outputs for both
commands (patch Option 1, attached).  Or, if we don't want to bother
including output, as the section does now, maybe we could at least
include the shell prompts and mention that output is excluded (patch
Option 2).

I've also attached an unrelated typofix I noticed for the same page.

Josh