Re: PGXN Client 1.0 released

From: Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <marcosluis2186(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGXN Client 1.0 released
Date: 2011-11-28 14:31:29
Lists: pgsql-announce
Wow, amazing news. I have only one question. pgxn supports pip?

pip like a Python Packaging Tool, has several advantages over easy_install:
- if an installation fails in the middle of hte process, pip will
leave you in a clean state.
- pip provides a uninstall command
- All packages are downloaded before install installation.
- Native support for other version control systems (Git, Mercurial and Bazaar)
- The code is relatively concise and cohesive, making it easier to use
and many more.

Look these two links:

2011/11/27 Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> I am pleased to announce the first release of the PGXN Client.
> The PGXN Client is a command line tool designed to interact with the
> PostgreSQL Extension Network allowing searching, compiling, installing
> and removing extensions in PostgreSQL databases.
> For example, to install the "semver" extension, the client can be invoked as:
>    $ pgxn install semver
> which would download, compile and install the extension libraries for
> one of the PostgreSQL servers hosted on the machine and:
>    $ pgxn load -d somedb semver
> which would load the extension in one of the databases of the server.
> To install the client and start playing with PostgreSQL extensions:
>    $ sudo easy_install pgxnclient
> The project homepage, where you can find complete documentation and
> further useful links is at:
> The client is designed to be extensible, and the first extensions are
> already available, both to help the development of new extensions:
>  - PGXN Utils by Dickson S. Guedes:
>  - PGXN::Meta::Validator By David E. Wheeler:
> Many thanks to the members of the PGXN Users group
> <> for the invaluable
> feedback during the development. Of course further feedback is
> welcome! Cheers!
> -- Daniele
> -To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to:
>               pgsql-announce-unsubscribe(at)postgresql(dot)org

Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda
 Linux Infrastructure Engineer
 Linux User # 418229
 Twitter: @marcosluis2186