Re: Add statistics_collector_listen_addresses to fix hard-coding of "localhost"

From: Robert Young <yayooo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com, GavinFlower <gavinflower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add statistics_collector_listen_addresses to fix hard-coding of "localhost"
Date: 2011-11-01 08:04:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 15:40, Robert Young <yayooo(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Which wrong?
> 1.I got no money to buy a good machine to run both the services and database.
> 2.I got no money to buy a good machine to run both the services and
> client applications.
> 3.Client applications hard-coding "localhost".
> 4.PG hard-coding "localhost".

Since They are equivalent,the answer is obvious:
Both #3 and #4 are wrong.

I admit, it is broken configuration.
But I said, broken configuration is just better than hard-coding.
Operating system designed flexible, give me the option to solve this
problem in broken configuration way.
Why database system wrote in hard-coding?

I admit, it is rare circumstance.
But I said, hard-coding is almost always right, NOT always right.
Just do the right thing is our rigorous attitude of work.

Database should be functional without underlying hostname or DNS facility.
So, I propose this patch to be applied.