Re: dblink: enable parameters

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dblink: enable parameters
Date: 2011-11-22 12:22:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 20:09, Heikki Linnakangas
> It would be nice to add support for SQL/MED "passthrough mode"... That would
> allow you to do any queries/updates to foreign servers. It wouldn't sound
> very difficult at first glance, though I'm not sure what it would mean to
> our parser, for example.

I think passthrough mode is almost impossible or has very limited usage
because we cannot pass query texts that our parser doesn't accept;
we cannot support foreign-table-specific queries.

> On 22.11.2011 06:55, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> I know so dblink is "deprecated" interface - but it has necessary
>> functionality still -  it support a writable statements.

So, "dblink on FDW connection" seems to be a possible solution.
We pass a query as a form of a plain text.

--
Itagaki Takahiro