Re: Locale Issue

From: Don Parris <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Vincent Veyron <vv(dot)lists(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: Locale Issue
Date: 2013-08-23 00:06:47
Lists: pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Vincent Veyron <vv(dot)lists(at)wanadoo(dot)fr> wrote:

> Le jeudi 22 août 2013 à 11:29 -0400, Don Parris a écrit :
>
> >   Still, how could I have made UTF-8 the default encoding at install
> > time?
>
> I did several recent installations of Postgresql on Debian Wheezy with
> UTF8 and LATIN9, and my system's encoding was used every time.
>
> Installation steps outlined below.
>
> Before you install Postgresql, make sure your systems encoding is set to
> UTF-8, which you can check with :
> locale -a
>
> If it's not, run :
> dpkg-reconfigure locales
>
> and select UTF-8 for your language.
>
> Use apt-get to install Postgresql :
> apt-get install postgresql postgresql-client
>
> I'm not sure if Kubuntu adds some overhead to the installation process.
> You might want to try a regular debian install and add the KDE desktop
> to it.

Thanks Vincent.  locale showed everything *except* LC_ALL as being
en_US.UTF-8.  LC_ALL was empty.  I can only guess that the LC_ALL setting
may have played a part in the problem.  See my previous e-mail (sent just
a  few minutes before this one).  I may have also been fine if that system
had not lost connectivity.  Trying out things on OpenSUSE 12.3, I do have
SSH connectivity and the Postgres server came up with template1 encoded as
UTF-8 by default.  I'll test out the pgsql remote connectivity soon as well.