Re: Stuck Up In My Category Tree

From: Don Parris <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stuck Up In My Category Tree
Date: 2011-08-23 18:17:00
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 19:31, Don Parris <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 16:20, Don Parris <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 05:24, Chetan Suttraway <
>> chetan(dot)suttraway(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>

>>> Could you please post a self contained test case here?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Chetan
>>>

>>> Hi Chetan,
>>
>> Thanks.  I will post something first chance I get - could be tomorrow
>> morning though.
>>
>> I've not made much progress to date, so still need the help.  :-(
>>

> I now have a work-around.  I have a view called amntby_cat that contains
the sums by category, which I pull into a LibreOffice Calc sheet.  I then
use a second sheet with a list of the top-level categories, and a series of
formulas to sum all the sub-categories for each top-level category,

I am now curious as to how business accounting databases approach
transaction categories?  If I am selling widgets to all 7 continents (as i
learned them), I might have sales as follows:

Antartica - expeditioners love our widgets!
Europe
  Germany
    Berlin, Mainz
  England
    London
    Brighton
North America
  USA
    New York
    Atlanta
    LA
  Mexico
    Mexico City
etc... ad nauseum.

But I may only want to see sales by continent.

Or more closely related:
Sales
  Advertising
  Communications
Operations
  parts
  labor
  Equipment

But I May only want to see the figures summed up at the top-level.

How is this issue approached in other cases?  Have I taken a bad approach to
my category structure?  It appears to be a common approach to categories in
general, but is there a solution that better fits my case?

Thanks,
Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, LEED AP O+M, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate