Re: Temporary tables under hot standby

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Temporary tables under hot standby
Date: 2012-05-07 14:04:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> To cross-pollinate with another thread, if temporary tables (and
> insert/delete/update transactions to them) are to be supported on a slave,
> will the applications using those temporary tables expect to be able to use
> 'nextval' on inserts to temporary tables as well?

That's a very good question. I'm moving it -hackers...how do non
table temporary objects work? Do you have CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY
SEQUENCE? etc.

My understanding of the current proposal is that the sequence (along
with the rest of the table) has to be defined in the master as a
global temporary table. It seems that it wouldn't be possible or
desirable to serialize sequence fetches between the master and standby
servers, but I'm not sure about that.

merlin