Re: H800 + md1200 Performance problem

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Cesar Martin <cmartinp(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: H800 + md1200 Performance problem
Date: 2012-04-16 16:08:44
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Cesar Martin <cmartinp(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Finally the problem was BIOS configuration. DBPM had was set to "Active
>> Power Controller" I changed this to "Max
>> Performance". http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/power-cooling/w/wiki/best-practices-in-power-management.aspx
>> Now wirite speed are 550MB/s and read 1,1GB/s.
>
> Why in the world would a server be delivered to a customer with such a
> setting turned on?  ugh.

likely informal pressure to reduce power consumption.  anyways, this
verifies my suspicion that it was a dell problem. in my dealings with
them, you truly have to threaten to send the server back then the
solution magically appears.  don't spend time and money playing their
'qualified environment' game -- it never works...just tell them to
shove it.

there are a number of second tier vendors that give good value and
allow you to to things like install your own disk drives without
getting your support terminated.  of course, you lose the 'enterprise
support', to which I give a value of approximately zero.

merlin