Re: PostgreSQL 9.1 pg_dump setval() sets wrong value

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Donald <gdonald(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.1 pg_dump setval() sets wrong value
Date: 2011-12-29 17:19:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Greg Donald <gdonald(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> if you take a bzipped schema only dump (pg_dump -s), I'd be happy to
>> look it over and eliminate the 'operator error' class of issues that
>> Tom is thinking might be happening.  private mail is ok.
>
> Operator error?  Wow.. so now I'm doing it wrong?
>
> I'll pass, thanks for all your "help" guys.  It's been a blast.

I did not suggest that. I suggested they *might* be happening. In
lieu of a reproducible test case (a couple of us took a stab at
creating one ourselves and could not come up with your issue) or some
other smoking gun it is something that has to ruled out.
Statistically speaking, operator error is by far the most common cause
of bug reports and as engineers we tend to rule out the most likely
culprits first. It's nothing personal.

By the way, I've been diagnosing and fixing other people's problems on
this list for years and have a pretty good feel for what's a real
problem or not. Your is one of those that can go either way and I was
willing to take time out of my day, gratis, to help you fix it on your
end and/or suggest a fix to the database itself. Since you are
obviously unaware of the value of that help, not to mention Tom's
incredibly precious time, it is your curse to have to reset your
sequences for ever and ever. Happy Holidays.

merlin