Re: Temporary tables under hot standby

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporary tables under hot standby
Date: 2012-05-03 13:19:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> which seems to me to be actually harder than just rewriting as derived
> table and isn't an option on Microstrategy etc, hence my observation
> that GTTs don't help HS much. What I would like to see, one day, is
> for temp tables to work without any changes.

yes. except (global) temp tables can:
*) be updated with data not derived from permanent tables (think:
session management, etc)
*) outlive a single transaction
*) be indexed independently of the sourcing tables
*) be referred to from multiple queries (you can simulate this with
CTE, but that approach obviously has limits)

of course, temp tables that would 'just work' would be wonderful.

merlin