Re: GUC_REPORT for protocol tunables was: Re: Optimize binary serialization format of arrays with fixed size elements

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "A(dot)M(dot)" <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Mikko Tiihonen <mikko(dot)tiihonen(at)nitorcreations(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: GUC_REPORT for protocol tunables was: Re: Optimize binary serialization format of arrays with fixed size elements
Date: 2012-01-25 18:54:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I specifically want to avoid any sort of per-connection
> negotation, except the "max format version supported",
> because it will mess up multiplexed usage of single connection.
> Then they need to either disabled advanced formats completely,
> or still do it per-query somehow (via GUCs?) which is mess.

Being able to explicitly pick format version other than the one the
application was specifically written against adds a lot of complexity
and needs to be justified.  Maybe you're trying to translate data
between two differently versioned servers?  I'm trying to understand
the motive behind your wanting finer grained control of picking format
version...

merlin