Re: IN Operator query

From: Michael Swierczek <mike(dot)swierczek(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: DrYSG <ygutfreund(at)draper(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IN Operator query
Date: 2012-07-05 14:48:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM, DrYSG <ygutfreund(at)draper(dot)com> wrote:
> I made a naive and stupid assumption that I could pass in a TEXT parameter to
> a plpsql Stored Procedure, and use that value in a IN SQL operation.
>
> That is
>
> My naïve hope was that if iFILTER was set to: "CADRG, DTED1, DTED2, SRTF"
>
> (cat.type in (iFilter)) would expand to:
>
> (cat.type in (CADRG, DTED1, DTED2, SRTF))
>
> But that is not working.

I believe using the PostgreSQL array type might help,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/arrays.html

Instead of declaring your iFilter parameter as TEXT, declare it as ARRAY.
Then instead of 'CADRG, DTED1, DTED2, SRTF' you would put the input
parameter as '{"CADRG", "DTED1", "DTED2", "SRTF"}'

And then change cat.type in (iFilter) to cat.type = ANY (iFilter)

Good luck.
-Mike Swierczek