Re: Collect frequency statistics for arrays

From: Nathan Boley <npboley(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Collect frequency statistics for arrays
Date: 2012-03-01 22:16:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>> What about MCV's? Will those be removed as well?
>
> Sure.  Those seem even less useful.

Ya, this will destroy the performance of several queries without some
heavy tweaking.

Maybe this is bad design, but I've gotten in the habit of storing
sequences as arrays and I commonly join on them. I looked through my
code this morning, and I only have one 'range' query ( of the form
described up-thread ), but there are tons of the form

SELECT att1, attb2 FROM rela, relb where rela.seq_array_1 = relb.seq_array;

I can provide some examples if that would make my argument more compelling.

Sorry to be difficult,
Nathan