Re: Database Designer report at 28/07/2001

From: "Dickson S(dot) Guedes" <listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net>
To: Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database Designer report at 28/07/2001
Date: 2011-08-01 17:27:17
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

2011/7/30 Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 8:50 PM, Dickson S. Guedes <listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2011/7/29 Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>:
>> > I just gave it a whirl for the first time (using the code committed to
>> > master, so some of these may be fixed), and immediately ran into a few
>> > issues:
>>
>> I tested here  (from commit b63c368a84) and have some opinions about
>> this cool addition to pgAdmin3:
>>
>> - The icons for "Add an empty table" and "Add a new column to selected
>> table" are the same, they could be different.
>
> Yes Icons are just for testing right now it should be improved.

Ah ok. I supposed that.

>> - The "Short Table Name" length is fixed in 3 characters. That could
>> be customisable.
>
> It can be, but main idea is to create the smallest possible name to create
> constraints easy to read, I'll think about it for last week of my project
> when I'll check UI of the modeler.

Ok.

>> - When adding a foreign key to a table, if the referenced column type
>> is 'serial' the reference column should be 'integer', but it stay
>> 'serial' and isn't possible change because the item for this in the
>> context menu is disabled. So, in this case, it could automatically
>> create an 'integer' reference column in child table when it references
>> a 'serial' column in parent and the equivalent for 'bigserial'.
>
> Ok, my mistake with automatically generation of foreign keys, I'll fix it
> for next patch, but you are able to create a foreign key for an existing
> column, if you table have columns before you add the fk, you are able to
> choose datatype of fk destination column and is on behalf of the user check
> the integrity of it.

Yes I saw this. in fact I did it in this way, but I happy to know that
you'll fix it for next patch.

>> - I have some DOMAINs and TYPEs but they aren't listed when choosing
>> the field type via context menu. This list could be dynamic or there
>> could be a text box to type a custom type.
>
> Yes, this should be improved but because the way this works it would take
> some time and now my schedule is tight, then I'll try to add it after gsoc
> because that is a very important feature but will need a some major changes
> (and time) at columns/tables

Hum, I guess that came from a query but now I see that is hard coded.
Ok, maybe there will be more hands to help improve that after gsoc.

>> - When I close the DbDesigner window after a change it doesn't ask for
>> confirmation and when I reopen it the diagram was lost. It could ask
>> for closing, or clear the diagram only when the 'New model' menu item
>> (or button) was clicked.
>>
>> - When open a model, it could ask for saving the previous model if it
>>
>> has changes.
>
> Yes it need to be added to the modeler, is just I have a lot of things at my
> head right (while working with new features and trying to accomplish it) now
> that I didn't notice simple things like that, I'll fix it for next patch.

Ok, nice! ... and yes, sometimes little things are missed and the more
we help testing the more we found them.

>> - The generated SQL table's definition isn't in dependency order when
>> adding a new parent table to diagram, but the generated script could
>> be ordered by foreign key dependencies.
>
> This will change for next patch, because dependecies are too difficult to
> acomplish always, and I'll generate first the table and then after generate
> all tables add the constraints to each one.

+1.

>> - The visual relation line of self referencing tables isn't displayed,
>> and the reference field couldn't be edited or removed, maybe
>> displaying the relation line would be enough.
>
> This is not possible right now, becasue modeler needs a major change: a new
> kind of lines between figures known as orthogonal lines, and some adjust at
> the modeler and this change wasn't include at my schedule and I tried to do
> it but some complications didn't allow me to do it, in future after gsoc
> I'll do that :)

Good! I hope there will be more hands on this after gsoc.

>> - Compress the generated 'pgd' file using wxZlibInputStream and
>> wxZlibOutnputStream.
>
> Yes this is a good suggesting and in fact I read something about compression
> with libxml2 that automatically uses Zlib, but I didn't activate it and
> tested I'll do this for the last patch.

Cool, but if your time is short you could left it to do after gsoc, maybe.

[]s
Guedes

--
Dickson S. Guedes
mail/xmpp: guedes(at)guedesoft(dot)net - skype: guediz