fast promotion and log_checkpoints

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: fast promotion and log_checkpoints
Date: 2013-05-01 09:05:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

In HEAD, when the standby is promoted, recovery requests the checkpoint
but doesn't wait for its completion. I found the checkpoint starting log message
of this checkpoint looks odd as follows:

    LOG:  checkpoint starting:

I think something like the following is better.

    LOG:  checkpoint starting: end-of-recovery

In 9.2 or before, "end-of-recovery" part is logged. Even if we changed the
behavior of end-of-recovery checkpoint, I think that it's more intuitive to
label it as "end-of-recovery". Thought?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao