Re: equivalent to "replication_timeout" on standby server

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Samba <saasira(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: equivalent to "replication_timeout" on standby server
Date: 2011-11-07 02:51:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Samba <saasira(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> although both master(with replication_timeout)  and slave (with tcp timeout
> option in primary_conninfo parameter) closes the connection in quick time
> (based on tcp idle connection  timeout), as of now they do not log such
> information. It would be really helpful if such disconnects are logged with
> appropriate severity so that the problem can identified early and help in
> keeping track of patterns and history of such issues.

Oh, really? Unless I'm missing something, when replication timeout happens,
the following log message would be logged in the master:

terminating walsender process due to replication timeout

OTOH, something like the following would be logged in the standby:

could not receive data from WAL stream......

> Presently, neither master nor standby server attempts to resume streaming
> replication when they happen to see each other after some prolonged
> disconnect. It would be better if either master or slave or both the servers
> makes periodic checks to find if the other is reachable and resume the
> replication( if possible, or else log the message that a full sync may be
> required).

The standby periodically tries reconnecting to the master after it detects
the termination of replication connection. So even after prolonged disconnect,
replication can automatically resume.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao