Re: incorrect handling of the timeout in pg_receivexlog

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: incorrect handling of the timeout in pg_receivexlog
Date: 2012-02-07 07:03:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I compiled HEAD with --disable-integer-datetimes and tested
> pg_receivexlog, I encountered unexpected replication timeout. As
> far as I read the pg_receivexlog code, the cause of this problem is
> that pg_receivexlog handles the standby message timeout incorrectly
> in --disable-integer-datetimes. The attached patch fixes this problem.
> Comments?

receivelog.c
-------
timeout.tv_sec = last_status + standby_message_timeout - now - 1;
if (timeout.tv_sec <= 0)
-------

Umm.. the above code also handles the timestamp incorrectly. ISTM that the
root cause of these problems is that receivelog.c uses TimestampTz. What
about changing receivelog.c so that it uses time_t instead of TimestampTz?
Which would make the code simpler, I think.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center