From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Chris Redekop <chris(at)replicon(dot)com>
Subject: pg_last_xact_insert_timestamp
Date: 2011-09-08 08:36:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Chris Redekop <chris(at)replicon(dot)com> wrote:
> Is there anything available to get the last time a transaction
> occurred? say "pg_last_xact_timestamp"?  In order to accurately
> calculate how far behind my slave is I need to do something like
> master::pg_last_xact_timestamp() -
> slave::pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp()....currently I'm using now() instead
> of the pg_last_xact_timestamp() call, but then when the master is not busy
> the slave appears to lag behind.  I'm considering writing a C module to get
> the last modified file time of the xlog, but I'm hoping there is a better
> alternative that I haven't found yet....

The above has been posted in pgsql-general. The reason why Chris thinks
a counterpart of pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp() is required sounds
reasonable to me. So I'd like to propose new function
"pg_last_xact_insert_timestamp" as the counterpart, which returns the
timestamp of the last inserted commit or abort WAL record. I'll add the
attached patch into the next CF.

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Next:From: Simon RiggsDate: 2011-09-08 08:55:40