Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Jun Ishiduka <ishizuka(dot)jun(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca, cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby
Date: 2011-09-21 06:23:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 04:50, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> 3. Copy the pg_control file from the cluster directory on the standby to
>>    the backup as follows:
>>
>>    cp $PGDATA/global/pg_control /mnt/server/backupdir/global
>
> But this is done as part of step 2 already. I assume what this really
> means is that the pg_control file must be the last file backed up?

Yes.

When we perform an archive recovery from the backup taken during
normal processing, we gets a backup end location from the backup-end
WAL record which was written by pg_stop_backup(). But since no WAL
writing is allowed during recovery, pg_stop_backup() on the standby
cannot write a backup-end WAL record. So, in his patch, instead of
a backup-end WAL record, the startup process uses the minimum
recovery point recorded in pg_control which has been included in the
backup, as a backup end location. BTW, a backup end location is
used to check whether recovery has reached a consistency state
(i.e., end-of-backup).

To use the minimum recovery point in pg_control as a backup end
location safely, pg_control must be backed up last. Otherwise, data
page which has the newer LSN than the minimum recovery point
might be included in the backup.

> (Since there are certainly a lot other ways to do the backup than just
> cp to a mounted directory..)

Yes. The above command I described is just an example.

>> 4. Execute pg_stop_backup on the standby.
>>
>> The backup taken by the above procedure is available for an archive
>> recovery or standby server.
>>
>> If the standby is promoted during a backup, pg_stop_backup() detects
>> the change of the server status and fails. The data backed up before the
>> promotion is invalid and not available for recovery.
>>
>> Taking a backup from the standby by using pg_basebackup is still not
>> possible. But we can relax that restriction after applying this patch.
>
> I think that this is going to be very important, particularly given
> the requirements on pt 3 above. (But yes, it certainly doesn't have to
> be done as part of this patch, but it really should be the plan to
> have this included in the same version)

Agreed.

>> To take a base backup during recovery safely, some sort of parameters
>> must be set properly. Hot standby must be enabled on the standby, i.e.,
>> wal_level and hot_standby must be enabled on the master and the standby,
>> respectively. FPW (full page writes) is required for a base backup,
>> so full_page_writes must be enabled on the master.
>
> Presumably pg_start_backup() will check this. And we'll somehow track
> this before pg_stop_backup() as well? (for such evil things such as
> the user changing FPW from on to off and then back to on again during
> a backup, will will make it look correct both during start and stop,
> but incorrect in the middle - pg_stop_backup needs to fail in that
> case as well)

Right. As I suggested upthread, to address that problem, we need to log
the change of FPW on the master, and then we need to check whether
such a WAL is replayed on the standby during the backup. If it's done,
pg_stop_backup() should emit an error.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao