Re: WAL Restore process during recovery

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL Restore process during recovery
Date: 2012-01-17 06:52:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 2:06 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> WALRestore process asynchronously executes restore_command while
> recovery continues working.
>
> Overlaps downloading of next WAL file to reduce time delays in file
> based archive recovery.
>
> Handles cases of file-only and streaming/file correctly.

Though I've not reviewed the patch deeply yet, I observed the following
two problems when I tested the patch.

When I set up streaming replication + archive (i.e., restore_command is set)
and started the standby, I got the following error:

    FATAL:  all AuxiliaryProcs are in use
    LOG:  walrestore process (PID 18839) exited with exit code 1

When I started an archive recovery without setting restore_command,
it successfully finished.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao