postgresql on Fedora 16

From: Kevin Duffy <kevind0718(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql on Fedora 16
Date: 2012-02-03 03:08:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello All:

I am attempting to set up Postgresql under Fedora 16.
And I think I did not do too bad for a first try for a novice.

I am pretty sure I was logged in as root when I ran yum install
postgresql-server.
And I also used yum to install pgAdmin.
Then I followed various postings to set the postgres account password and
get the /usr/local/pgsql/data directory set up and permissioned correctly.

I have been able to do the following:
su postgres

start the server with the command:
/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l /tmp/pgsql.log start
this returns:
could not change directory to "/home/kbd"
server starting

createdb testdb
returns:
could not change directory to "/home/kbd"

psql testdb
returns: ( again )
could not change directory to "/home/kbd"

testdb=# select * from pg_language
returns the expected stuff.

pgAdmin is able to connect to Postgresql. Yipee

OK so what is causing this message:
could not change directory to "/home/kbd"
I looked in the log file but it is empty.

Is it OK that postgresql is in /usr/local/bin? I though it should be in
/usr/local/pgsql/bin. Least that it was where when I installed postgresql
years ago.

And what do I have to do to get postgresql to start auto on start up.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Best Regards

KD