Re: Logging access to data in database table

From: Misa Simic <misa(dot)simic(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
Cc: Ivan Radovanovic <radovanovic(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Logging access to data in database table
Date: 2012-01-25 19:02:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks Bill,

Make sense... db_link is probably then solution... Everything depends on
concrete problem...

But I still think security should be reconsidered (I would use db_link just
in case there is no other options - if we must let users to have direct
access to DB)... I mean, in that case when we need log each request for
some sensitive data - we would not allow some user direct access to DB
where he would be able to do such thing BEGIN TRAN, execute function what
returns sensitive data, ROLLBACK Tran; (or many other things...)

at least there would be an application layer above DB... (concretly in our
case - Users do not have access to DB at all... everything is through Web
App, actually DB - Web Service - User Apps (Web, Windows, Mobile etc...))

Thanks,

Misa