Large amount of postgres processes

From: Lukasz Brodziak <lukasz(dot)brodziak(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Large amount of postgres processes
Date: 2012-02-27 13:25:12
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello,

I have a question regarding the way PG runs on Windows machines. I
have PG 9.0 installed on Windows 2008 Server Standard. When it runs
without any traffic I have 6 postgres.exe processes running. When I
run software which connects to the DB on local host I have 7 (so +1
that I can understand) but when remote hosts connect i goes up to 40
postgres.exe running on server. My question is why there are so many
postgres.exe running when nothing is connecteg to the server and each
remote connection triggers next 2 - 3 instances?

All connected hosts are working actively on the db performing sever
SELECTS as well as INSERT / UPDATE statements per transaction.
--
Ɓukasz Brodziak

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Lennin CaroDate: 2012-02-27 14:30:22