Re: High load average in 64-core server , no I/O wait and CPU is idle

From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Rajesh Kumar(dot) Mallah" <mallah(at)tradeindia(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High load average in 64-core server , no I/O wait and CPU is idle
Date: 2012-05-24 03:53:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM, Rajesh Kumar. Mallah
<mallah(at)tradeindia(dot)com> wrote:
> The problem is that  sometimes there are spikes of load avg which
> jumps to > 50 very rapidly ( ie from 0.5 to 50  within 10 secs) and
> it remains there for sometime and slowly reduces to normal value.
>
> During such times of high load average we observe that there is no IO wait
> in system and even CPU is 50% idle. In any case the IO Wait always remains < 1.0 % and
> is mostly 0. Hence the load is not due to high I/O wait which was generally
> the case with our previous hardware.

Do you experience decreased query performance?

Load can easily get to 64 (1 per core) without reaching its capacity.
So, unless you're experiencing decreased performance I wouldn't think
much of it.

Do you have mcelog running? as a cron or a daemon?
Sometimes, mcelog tends to crash in that way. We had to disable it in
our servers because it misbehaved like that. It only makes load avg
meaningless, no performance impact, but being unable to accurately
measure load is bad enough.