Configuring Postgres to Add A New Source File

From: Tareq Aljabban <tareq(dot)aljabban(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Configuring Postgres to Add A New Source File
Date: 2012-01-25 12:06:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,
I'm doing some development on the storage manager module of Postgres.

I have added few source files already to the smgr folder, and I was able to
have the Make system includes them by adding their names to the OBJS list
in the Makefile inside the smgr folder. (i.e. When I add A.c, I would add
A.o to the OBJS list).

That was working fine. Now I'm trying to add a new file hdfs_test.c to the
project. The problem with this file is that it requires some extra
directives in its compilation command (-I and -L directives).

Using gcc the file is compiled with the command:

gcc hdfs_test.c -I/HDFS_HOME/hdfs/src/c++/libhdfs
-I/usr/lib/jvm/default-java/include -L/HDFS_HOME/hdfs/src/c++/libhdfs
-L/HDFS_HOME/build/c++/Linux-i386-32/lib
-L/usr/lib/jvm/default-java/jre/lib/i386/server -ljvm -lhdfs -o
hdfs_test

I was told that in order to add the extra directives, I need to modify
$LDFLAGS in configure.in and $LIBS in MakeFile.

I read about autoconf and checked configure.in of Postgres but still wasn't
able to know exactly what I should be doing.

Thanks