Re: SSH Tunneling implementation

From: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSH Tunneling implementation
Date: 2012-07-10 11:35:12
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> >> Yeah, that seems reasonable. I'd also suggest pinging the libssh2
> >> mailing lists to see if there's another API that you've missed, or if
> >> they can explain why it's necessary to provide the public key and
> >> private one.
> >>
> >> So... something to think about in parallel with that; if we cannot
> >> deal with this cleanly using libssh2, should we go back to the
> >> original plan that Akshay and I discussed privately, which was to have
> >> pgAdmin spawn ssh (or putty on Windows) processes to provide the
> >> tunnels?
> >
> > Ugh. That seems pretty painful. Particularly on windows where you're
> > going to end up with an actual window (whether hidden or not).
>
> It's ugly, but not necessarily painful. We have existing code for
> finding executables and running them. And putty does have a tunnel app
> which is (I believe), windowless.

Why are we talking about using the external application here?
The only problem with the current implementation - is that it does use new
APIs for tunneling.
We can change the implementation based on the current supplied libssh2 on
most linux flavours.
i.e. libssh2 - 1.2.7 or later

I have asked Akshay to check - if we can modify the current implementation
to use the older version of libssh2. (feasibility)

--

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise PostgreSQL Company<http://www.enterprisedb.com/>