Re: [Mac OS X Mountain Lion] FATAL: could not create shared memory segment: Cannot allocate memory

From: Yvon Thoraval <yvon(dot)thoraval(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Mac OS X Mountain Lion] FATAL: could not create shared memory segment: Cannot allocate memory
Date: 2012-10-07 19:59:06
Lists: pgsql-general

2012/10/7 Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/kernel-resources.html

OK, fine thanks to both.

I've found a page dealing with that prob :
Fixing the postgresql initdb fatal shared memory error on
Leopard<http://willbryant.net/software/mac_os_x/postgres_initdb_fatal_shared_memory_error_on_leopard>

The points are to :

Easy to fix; run:

sudo sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=65536
sudo sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=16777216

(The first one's the critical one for me, but second seems appropriate too.)

This changes the limits in the currently-running kernel. To make these
values stick across reboots, add them to /etc/sysctl.conf, like this:

kern.sysv.shmall=65536
kern.sysv.shmmax=16777216

(Create this file if it doesn't already exist – it doesn't on fresh Leopard
installs.)
--
Yvon